Thanks to Warner Bros, I got to watch the “In The Heights” movie a whole two months in advance, and I am super excited to finally share my initial thoughts. But first, if you’re unfamiliar with the new In The Heights movie …
Here’s what In The Heights is all about
Lights up on Washington Heights…The scent of a cafecito caliente hangs in the air just outside of the 181st Street subway stop, where a kaleidoscope of dreams rallies this vibrant and tight-knit community. At the intersection of it all is the likeable, magnetic bodega owner Usnavi (Anthony Ramos), who saves every penny from his daily grind as he hopes, imagines and sings about a better life.
“In the Heights” fuses Lin-Manuel Miranda’s kinetic music and lyrics with director Jon M. Chu’s lively and authentic eye for storytelling to capture a world very much of its place, but universal in its experience.
“In the Heights” stars Anthony Ramos (“A Star is Born,” Broadway’s “Hamilton”), Corey Hawkins (“Straight Outta Compton,” “BlacKkKlansman”), singer/songwriter Leslie Grace, Melissa Barrera (TV’s “Vida”), Olga Merediz (Broadway’s “In the Heights”), Daphne Rubin-Vega (Broadway’s “Rent”), Gregory Diaz IV (Broadway’s “Matilda the Musical”), Stephanie Beatriz (TV’s “Brooklyn Nine-Nine”), Dascha Polanco (TV’s “Orange is the New Black”) and Jimmy Smits (the “Star Wars” films).
Here Are 44 Thoughts I Had While Watching The In The Heights Movie
- This is definitely for the Latino community!
- Folks gonna be playing this over and over like Hamilton, and I don’t blame ’em!
- Mom and pop shops are WAY more important than we realize, and I love that this movie is highlighting that.
- I love Corey Hawkins right now and dang he foine!
- Of course he likes the girl that comes in the store, typical NYC bodega shit.
- I’m not Latino, but this feels amazing.
- I smile every time I see Lin on the screen.
- They did a lot of work to get this first dance number on point with all them people huh?
- I’m missing words because I don’t know all these damn Spanish words! *cries*
- I love Corey singing!!! I’m gonna fall in love with him too? Come on now!
- Me looking at the spices on they counter like … I got them joints in my kitchen RIGHT now! Same brand and all. Dang, that feels nice!
- This was definitely worth staying up late to watch and I’m only 20 mins in! Whew!
- Noooo … not the tea in the shop about some man who doesn’t have a home, bouncing between two women houses! I’m weak!
- Oh wow … they moved to Grand Concourse! I used to work there!
- Folks really do love kids who go away to college and come back!
- Nooooo … the mannequins moving with the dance! Aw man!!! Love it! Every damn detail, yes!!
- Nooooooo a big TAXI? This shop is spicy! They really talking about this man dick talking bout sir got a stretch limousine, I need a ride. I just … I can’t.
- The sound effects are sooo good.
- Yessss they got the men catcalling on the street! This might be the first time in my life I was ever happy to see catcalling.
- 37 mins in and I’m so happy!!
- The transitions are dope and the animations are too cute.
- Omg Corey is foine! Yes I know I already said this but like … gah damn!
- This pool scene? Yesssss! Yoooo! The dancing is great! I can only imagine what it takes to put on something like this and getting everyone to be on point! Jeezus.
- Omg I haven’t seen one of those firefighter / police poles in so long! We always wondered if those worked as a kid. To this day, I still don’t know.
- Damn I want an icy now.
- If you ever see an old Latino man in the Bronx with an icy cart grab one! You won’t be sorry!
- $117 to wash some napkins?? Get TF outta here!
- “When You’re Home” is one of my faves! I want this soundtrack already.
- This is so cute! It may even be better than Hamilton, if you like rom coms. I’m just saying.
- I gotta stop staring at this man mouth ’cause I can just see they lip singing, but … ugh!
- Why they showing his tattoos like that’s supposed to make me feel some way about homie’s parenting skills?
- I want someone to like me so much they’re scared to talk to me, but they still do!
- I still need to learn how to dance salsa for real for real.
- Listen! I love Corey and Anthony together! It’s like Lin and Leslie! Perfecto!
- Oh wow, the irony of the song “we are powerless”.
- This dance number with Abuela singing is my kinda jam! Not that everything else wasn’t.
- Again this ain’t for white folks, this is for minorities. I just needed to say that again. I don’t wanna hear what they thought about this at all.
- Not them about to make me cry, stop it.
- I kinda don’t want this to end. I’m glad it’s 2 hours long.
- 1 hour 30 mins in … and … tears! This is gonna wreck you.
- The ending is super duper emotional if you relate to this in anyway and I relate in one too many ways.
- I think I like Benny and Nina’s relationship more than Anthony and what’s her name.
- Shout out for them putting in one of those unrealistic musical scenes that always happen in them white musicals. You know the ones that make you think “that shit could NEVER happen” but you love it anyway? I love it!
- I can hear the audiences screaming and clapping for each name as they appear on the screen as I watch the credits, this was so good!
Man this was a great film!
Here’s my full review of the In The Heights movie, along with my favorite quotes from the film.