So a few days ago, I watched The Secret Garden (2020) movie with my daughter. I absolutely loved the book growing up, and was super excited when I found out at the top of the year that they were releasing a new Secret Garden movie.
If you’re not sure what The Secret Garden is about, because you’re crazy and never read the book, the film is about when Mary Lennox’s (Dixie Egerickx) parents suddenly die, and she’s sent to live with her uncle, Archibald Craven (Colin Firth), on his remote country estate deep in the Yorkshire moors.
While exploring, she discovers a hidden magical garden, makes a new friend (Amir Wilson), and helps her sick cousin (Edan Hayhurst) gain the courage to get out of bed.
Here Are 31 Thoughts I Had While Watching The Secret Garden
1. This was shot beautifully!
2. Look how dirty that damn water is! OMG! And I thought NYC beaches were dirty!
3. This starts off really slow. I hate when folks do this! I need action from the jump.
4. That is a big castle! Or house?!
5. Hmmm, Martha is Black?
6. *rolls eyes* Yeah, of course, the Black girl is gonna be your servant! Damn child! TF!
7. She keeps throwing food away and telling folks they can’t eat it. *smh* Imagine that?
8. I was hoping this would be better than The Little Women so this needs to hurry up and pick up the pace.
9. Awww look she finally has a friend to play with.
10. The scoring is beautiful!
11. It’s finally picking up I see.
12. I mean this is almost 2 hours long so this should be good right?
13. What is this “monster house”? The house killed his mom? *rolls eyes*
14. I love how her dreams are whiter and brighter than the actual film to represent how happy she is when she’s thinking them.
15. Sis just got here and giving out orders like she the damn queen. *rolls eyes*
16. I really do love this score!
17. Omg poor doggie!
18. And I love that it’s just one big continuous score.
19. The way they filmed her fall was actually really cool.
20. This garden better look fabulouso! I swear!
21. Wait if it’s cold enough for her to wear a coat outside, why the hell did she take it off to go into the water? TF?! She ain’t cold?
22. Sis jacket is sooooo dirty! OMG! I’m kinda glad she ain’t got parents to scold her when she gets back to the house.
23. Also, how does she know what time it is to leave and go home? Ain’t no watch! They really told time by the sun huh?
24. Riah (my 8-year-old): is she even allowed to go in there?
25. No seriously! Who’s stuff is she in! I swear this girl gon’ get her ass beat.
26. Oh, those weren’t dreams! They were memories. So cool.
27. OMG! It’s the same dude from The Letter For The King yay I like him.
28. That scar on the dog just made me sick.
29. This scoreee!! I don’t get why I love it so much but I DO!
30. Wait Martha’s brother isn’t allowed to be in the house? She said if they catch him they’d whip him. *heavy sigh*
31. This is what they mean when they said depression kills!
32. Riah: She’s saving you, you should at least take her out of school man! (My kid clearly felt for Mary at this point.)
33. This house so damn big they gotta run through all these damn rooms just to get out of it, lord.
So yeah, that’s pretty much what went through my head while watching this.
Here’s our interview with Dixie and Edan
Be sure to subscribe to our family channel, as well as my Popcorn and Tequila YouTube channel since I’ll be posting more interviews over the next few days.
I’ll have a full review of the movie up soon.
But until then, have you seen The Secret Garden (2020) movie yet? If so, what did you think of it? If not …