Thanks to Disney Plus, I got to watch the Shang Chi movie a few days early, and I am super excited to share my initial thoughts via this live recap. Shang Chi is all about a martial-arts master, Shang-Chi (Simu Liu), who confronts the past he thought he left behind when he’s drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization.
And even though I didn’t absolutely love it! (Which now I realize may be because I saw it at home and not on the big screen?)
Here are my thoughts …
49 Thoughts I Had While Watching The Shang Chi Movie
Spoiler Alert – If you haven’t seen Shang Chi yet, this recap will spoil things a bit. I omitted names so you don’t know who is who. But if you loathe all kinds of spoilers, bookmark this joint and wait until you’ve seen the episode.
- Not him being the only one to survive, and then flies out of the damn car.
- Gosh I love when folks focus on Asian fighting styles!
- Also love seeing powerful women, women who can compete with powerful men, on screen! Always a pleasure!!
- This thang looking like an Asian “Matrix” and “Sonic” movie all in one.
- How in the world did she whoop his ass gracefully and then let him land lightly? I can’t!
- Look at this foine ass Asian! Whew chile!
- That “step out of the car” shot is NICEEEE.
- I hate her so much!!! Her voice is sooooo annoying.
- I miss seeing people drift. Maybe I shoulda watched all hundred of the dang Fast and Furious movies then huh?
- I wanna do karaoke, ugh!
- So they randomly just want the pendant? That makes no sense?
- This bus fight choreo is dope!
- So nobody tryna leave the bus? Everyone wanna stay and watch? Are you serious right now?
- Why does the bus driver have headphones on in the first place?!! Omg that just made me so mad!!!
- This feels so unbelievable!
- But the music is dope.
- Not these hitmen being sent by his own dad! God damn.
- Awww his sister trained too. I love it!
- Wish I had someone to watch movies with. *sigh*
- This is way back when planes actually served food, huh? They sure don’t do that no more!
- This feels very relaxed for a Marvel film?
- Awww, look who it is, Chong!
- He wants him to fight without his shirt? I just can’t. Did the writers just want an excuse for Simu to be shirtless?
- Why does she have the pendant???
- He said he’d be back and he never came back?? Cries softly.
- Another fight scene? There’s still not much of an interesting story yet.
- Not him letting her go though.
- They jumping around and she’s inching.
- Not his daddy being there.
- So this whole thing is for them to find their mom? Dad isn’t an actual villain? Wowww.
- Love me this water scene!
- An hour in … still meh.
- I really like Morris.
- Well, this world is cool. I wonder who designed the animals?
- Awww the string music!
- Still just an ok story, ugh like Raya, why is it just ok? Is it because I can’t connect?
- Not them pretending to be dead.
- Ohhhh, he controls the rings now.
- And instead of red being the color of evil, it actually represents good I’m guessing since red is good luck in Asia! That was clever.
- Not him throwing them back like they toys or trash!
- Dang, he gotta watch another parent die???
- The monster battle is cool.
- Not Wong coming outta nowhere.
- Ahhhhh Anderson Paak!
- Awwww they basically said “Welcome to the Avengers”.
- But why Awkafina? Not the sister? Why is her annoying ass joining the Avengers? Jeezus lord help us all!
- Two credit scenes! Ohhhh … there goes his sister.
- Ok, she’s building the ten rings back. Which makes sense! She’s in charge now.
- So I’m guessing we’re getting a sequel!?
If you haven’t seen Shang Chi yet …