Thanks to Hulu, ’cause a b*xch don’t even have regular tv channels anymore, I legit live on streaming apps now, I got to watch episode 1 of Fox’s new tv series, Our Kind Of People and I am super excited to share my initial thoughts via this live recap.
“Our Kind of People” takes place in the aspirational world of Oak Bluffs on Martha’s Vineyard, a historical stronghold where the rich and powerful Black elite have come to play for over 50 years.
Strong-willed single mom Angela Vaughn sets out to reclaim her family’s name and make an impact with her revolutionary hair care line that highlights the innate, natural beauty of Black women, but she soon discovers a dark secret about her own mother’s past that will turn her world upside-down and shake up this community forever.
The show is a soapy, thrilling exploration of race and class in America and an unapologetic celebration of Black resilience and achievement.
And I absolutely love it! So here are …
41 Thoughts I Had While Watching “Our Kind Of People” Episode 1
Spoiler Alert – If you haven’t seen episode 1 of Our Kind Of People yet, this recap will spoil things a bit. I omitted names so you don’t know who is who. But if you loathe all kinds of spoilers, bookmark this joint and wait until you’ve seen the episode.
- Oh that’s how we starting this off??! Okay now!
- Her curls are popping!! Like I’m actually jealous right now.
- How is this her first time at a beach? Like no seriously, sis is old, how?
- It look too damn cold to be at the beach! The wind blowing and shit. Nah son. I’m good luv.
- Oh that’s her Aunt?? I assumed that was her grandma! My bad sis. I’m sorry.
- Look at all this melanin on tv! Yesss!! I know I watched this on Hulu, but the fact that this is a tv series makes me so damn happy! THIS is what we needed!
- A show about rich black folks? We needed this! Cause you know I’m not gon’ stop complaining until shit changes ’round here.
- Wait she never got to see her dad? That just made me so damn sad!
- So her dad had an affair? And she’s the product? And dad paid off mom to? Whew chile the drama is real! I need answers!!
- I forgot Joe Morton is in this! Yasss! I legit love him. OMG I can’t wait to meet him. I bet he’s a lovely person in person.
- Dang I ain’t seen Lance in awhile. Probably cause I stopped watching Tyler Perry joints? Or he been in hiding? Who knows!
- Yayyyy she’s in this too?? Raven!!
- Everyone’s hair is laid here! Laid! Like I’m genuinely shocked!
- Them girls supposed to be 17? Who we fooling?
- Damn that just got mad awkward!
- Nooo not her heel breaking! Come TF on sis! We can’t be messing up in front of the uppities.
- Oh he asked to help with her shoes, ain’t he nice. *swoons* Foine, and a gentleman? Where I find one ah those at? I gotta act in a tv show or something? Gosh.
- I love that this is focused on black hair, black wealth, Black people, black excellence. All of it! Love, love love it!
- Look at Papa Pope! Back like he never left.
- Oh god he really somebody daddy here! Good lord, now he got someone else to terrorize.
- Omgggg it’s so nice to see him on screen again though! Like I just can’t stop smiling. Now he’s Papa Franklin! At least that’s what I’m calling him this year. Idc idc!
- I hope one day I write a script I can cast Joe in! Whew chile. Actually let me figure out how to get him in this one I already wrote, so he can be with Yvette Nicole Brown.
- Listen, I hope that package is some new shoes from her new rich friend. Clearly my friends are rubbing off on me.
- Oh hell nah! What she put in her fxking bag!!! Her phone? So she can say she stole it? The New Yorker in me don’t trust nobody!
- Oh shit she ain’t wear the shoes!!!! He sent her some and she ain’t wear em! Sis said I can buy my own shoes. OMG! Boss shit!
- Wtf? Did her friend really just jump off the boat? What the hell is going on here!
- Wait did she really just kiss him like that? That was actually weird. Even though I’m glad she went for it?
- I don’t think I’m bougie enough for Jack and Jill to be honest though. Maybe in a few years?
- Lord I knew she ain’t like her! Hating ass.
- Damn now they got me wondering … did she KNOW she was gonna jump when she put the phone in her bag?
- Ohhhhhh the hair in this fashion show y’all! I love it!
- I hope these stylists got PAID honey cause everybody hair is AMAZING. They need to go … um … help Tyler Perry stylists? Since he swears it’s they fault. Like it’s not his low budget production producing ass fault.
- If she don’t take her feet off her daddy table. I swear ta gawd I’m scared for her ass right now. Sis do you know who this man is? He’ll tear this whole dang conference room up. Take yo feet down!
- When Papa Franklin laughs I laugh. Cause he dead laugh like shit is funny, and it don’t even be funny, it be scary as hell.
- Oh shit she’s a D.A? Yesss Rachel! That’s the character Raven plays! A Black D.A. let’s go!
- Oh no Teddy Franklin her daddy? Jeezus help us.
- She handing over the wig in a case? How much that jawn cost if she got cases for them wigs? I also like how it’s a nod to the fact that Black women take care of their hair, even the ones that’s not naturally on their head.
- Oh shit wait technically they’re sisters!! Right?!! OMG!
- Why would she tell her where her building is????! Again, New Yorker paranoia kicking in. But girl you not scared if she know where yo ish is at she gon’ come burn it down? Like …
- Wtf did she take out of the wiggggg?? Y’all I watched that ending like 3x and I still don’t know what was in that wig. What did she do!!!
- This is fixing to be a dope ass series and I can’t wait to watch the next episode!!
Anywho, that’s it for this week!
Before you go, here are my favorite quotes from the show so far.