Thanks to the Toronto International Film Festival, I got to screen Regina King’s directorial debut movie, One Night In Miami before its 2021 Amazon Prime Video release, and I am super excited to finally share my initial thoughts.
One Night In Miami is a fictional account of one incredible night where icons Muhammad Ali (Eli Goree), Malcolm X (Kingsley Ben-Adir), Sam Cooke (Leslie Odom Jr), and Jim Brown (Aldis Hodge) gathered discussing their roles in the civil rights movement and cultural upheaval of the 60s.
Here Are 30 Thoughts I Had While Watching One Night In Miami
1. Nah for real I need him to stop hitting him too. This ain’t even a fight! OMG!
2. Omg is this Sam Cooke?
3. Wowwwww! Are people leaving because he’s Black?
4. Nah sir, even I’m bored. WTF is this shit??
5. Wait. WTF? Hold TF up! So he sat him down, talked to him, got him lemonade, told him he supported him and then when sir offered to help him move his furniture told him “you know we don’t let niggers in the house”? GTFOH!!!
6. Is this supposed to be Martin?
7. This is good but I feel like it’s gonna get better.
8. Ok what are they planning? I haven’t read the description so I don’t know what’s happening right now.
9. Why is the music so eerie? As if they aren’t just praying?
10. Why are there guards at the door?
11. They so damn foine!
12. This HAS to be Mohammed Ali! They said he “floats”, so he changed his name?
13. I love the shot with all four car doors opening at the same time! OMG!!!
14. THE CHAMP IS HERE!
15. If this grown man don’t stop jumping on these god damn beds! *laughs*
16. Omgggg! They killing me! All he got is ice cream in the hotel room? No beer, no chips, nothing? Lawd!
17. The writing of this is impeccable! The words are like poetry.
18. Did he leave the god damn door open??? Lawd. Something ’bout to pop off now.
19. I knew something was gonna go wrong! Oh boy.
20. This is extremely modern though, especially the dialogue.
21. The heart attack he just had with them messing with his camera! So cute. I like men who are passionate about things.
22. Sam telling Malcolm ‘music is just as important as his speeches’ is such a mood! Yessss!
23. Them arguing between themselves is the most drama in this thing and I love it.
24. The convo of ‘should celebrities talk about important issues because they can sway others with their fame and help the movement or should they be allowed to just be “regular people”’ is such a needed one. Totally still relevant!
25. They walk up to celebs and just ask for spare change?
26. Wait how they getting mad at him for the sound being down? Smh!
27. Omgggg he knew they were coming for him!!
28. I just got so emotional!
29. This was so great. Brings four greats into the spotlight without the boring storyline of a documentary, which I usually hate.
30. Well done Regina! Can’t wait to see what she does next.
Full review of Regina’s One Night In Miami movie coming soon. Until then, here are my favorite quotes from the film.