Thanks to The CW app, ’cause a b*xch don’t even have regular tv channels anymore, I legit live on streaming apps now, I got to watch episode 1 of Ava DuVernay’s new DC Comics superhero series “Naomi” and I am super excited to share my initial thoughts via this live recap.
“Naomi” is a DC drama that follows the journey of a cool, confident, comic book–loving teenager, played by Kaci Walfall (“Army Wives,” “Power,” “The Lion King” on Broadway), as she pursues her hidden destiny.
When a supernatural event shakes her hometown of Port Oswego to the core, Naomi sets out to uncover its origins, with a little help from her fiercely loyal best friend Annabelle (Mary-Charles Jones, “Kevin Can Wait”).
She also has the support of her adoptive, doting parents, veteran military officer Greg (Barry Watson, “7th Heaven,” “The Loudest Voice”) and linguistics teacher Jennifer (Mouzam Makkar, “The Fix”).
After an encounter with Zumbado (Cranston Johnson, “Filthy Rich”), the mysterious owner of a used car lot, leaves her shaken, Naomi turns to tattoo parlor owner Dee (Alexander Wraith, “Orange Is the New Black”), who becomes her reluctant mentor.
While unfolding the mystery about herself, Naomi also effortlessly navigates her high school friendships with kids on the military base as well as well as local townies, including ex-boyfriend and high school jock Nathan (Daniel Puig); Annabelle’s longtime, loyal boyfriend Jacob (Aidan Gemme); proud “townie” Anthony (Will Meyers, “Bad Education”); and fellow comic book enthusiast Lourdes (Camila Moreno), who works in a vintage collectible shop.
As Naomi journeys to the heights of the Multiverse in search of answers, what she discovers will challenge everything we believe about our heroes.
And so far I’m kinda digging this! So here are …
45 Thoughts I Had While Watching Naomi Episode 1
Spoiler Alert – If you haven’t seen episode 1 of Naomi yet, this recap will spoil things a bit. I omitted names so you don’t know who is who. But if you loathe all kinds of spoilers, bookmark this joint and wait until you’ve seen the episode.
- She sees better without glasses?
- I really love black women in braids on TV! Like for real.
- Hormones racing already. Jeezus.
- Not a Lil Wayne song! Can we stop trying to make him relevant again please. The Gen-Z kids don’t need to know who he is.
- This already feels so kid-ish and I’m kind of surprised? But I mean, it is a teen series, so it’s probably a good thing it feels like it’s for kids? Maybe my daughter can watch it with me?
- Is this a Black girl speaking 3 different languages? On TV? Oh excuse me Ms. Ava! Yessss to showcasing multilingual Black women!
- And she skateboards?? Yesss! Not sure why that makes me so happy. I don’t skate.
- Ohhh and the song choice Icon by Jaden Smith?? Yesss! I see y’all! I haven’t heard this song in a minute! Whew!
- It’s the song still screaming “icon living” while we’re watching a Black female teen superhero show for me! That doesn’t go unnoticed!
- She’s smart, cool, wears glasses, dresses nice! I’m amazed! I’m not sure why I’m so amazed, but I am. TV isn’t always nice to Black girls. I love the direction this is heading in.
- This girl gon’ leave class in the middle of an assignment for a Superman stunt? For her site? And they just let sis GO?! Crazy! I hope my job just lets me run out for events! Shoot.
- Wait, whoa, why’d she just pass out?
- Not Ava tryna make Superman cool! I see you sis.
- Awwwww, comic geeks who are female and f*cking gorgeous! Not the stereotypical nerd look. Yesss!
- WAIT … is she gay???
- She issssss!!! Wait no she’s bi!?!
- Black teen, adopted, smart AF, cool AF, pretty AF, nerdy, bi, a whole damn journalist, AND this still feels REAL. This is amazing! I love it.
- AND she speaks her mind!? *in my Anderson .Paak voice* YES LAWD!
- Look at him being honest! Good job kid. He don’t like dude cause she likes him! Say that!
- I like that this show is gonna be a breeding ground for new Black talent! I can feel it.
- Not good for your anxiety? Sir! Stop it!
- Why he’s lying!! He ain’t plan this fight, he tryna throw her off! Don’t ask me how I know, I just know.
- He’s gotta be connected to the people who did this, but maybe they’re bad? Okay, okay, got that! Now to figure out why.
- Omg the glasses do make her vision worse! Oh snap!
- Dee knows her? Wait. Is that her dad or something? I’m speculating now.
- Awwww they letting her drive? Cute.
- She’s hearing that damn sound again.
- I legit hate the way she faints! But I’m gonna give her a pass because maybe she’s new to this? Falling hurts! That ain’t easy to pull off.
- Wait, happen again? This already happened???
- Oh no!! Sis has super vision and they ain’t want her to know? Her folks probably know!! They don’t want her to know she has powers. But why!?
- Yes to the Dr. Martens on her feet!! Shout out to these stylists.
- Who the hell is Zumbado?! That’s what I need to know!
- Is he hinting at something? Is she Superman’s daughter?
- Sis powers kicking in and she don’t even know it.
- So he has powers too???
- Yay! Another show where Black people have superpowers. Finally.
- Awww, look, she got herself a little criminal crew.
- Did she forget this man has super powers?
- Not Dee looking the same from years ago, he a vampire or something?
- These kids wild! Teens do crazy things, huh? I just cut class and hanged out at folks houses. Okay, that’s wild too, but not this wild!
- Dee spit it TF out man! Tell me! You know things!!! Tell us!!! Stop lying bruh!
- Wait people like us????? Oh shit he has powers too??
- Oh shit!!!
- Who are you is the wrong question? So maybe ask what are you???
- WTF the “correct” question is who am I? Seriously y’all! Y’all getting on my dang nerves already! Nobody gon ask who he is? TF!!
Anywho, that’s it for this week!
Stay tuned for more recaps as new episodes drop weekly.
Leave a Reply