Thanks to Disney Plus, I got to watch Ms. Marvel episode 1 a few days early, and I am super excited to share my initial thoughts via this live recap.
Marvel Studios’ “Ms. Marvel” is a new, original series that introduces Kamala Khan, a Muslim American teenager growing up in Jersey City. An avid gamer and a voracious fan-fiction scribe, Kamala is a Super Hero megafan with an oversized imagination—particularly when it comes to Captain Marvel.
And I absolutely love it! So here are …
47 Thoughts I Had While Watching Ms. Marvel Episode 1
No Spoilers – If you haven’t seen Ms. Marvel episode 1 yet, you’re in luck, because this recap will NOT spoil things. I omitted a few thoughts that included spoilers so you can read this without worry. You’re welcome!
- Is this really starting off with THIS song? Totally a preteen teen show!
- I love the stop motion!
- Awww … she was making videos! It’s so cute.
- The transition from American to Pakistani! Smooth! I love it.
- Awwww she’s learning to drive!
- Yesss to the music!
- Not her saying a quick prayer, and him saying “bless you” like she sneezed.
- Awwww … it’s Jersey City.
- Yesssss (again) to the music!
- Riah (my daughter) is gonna like this.
- Another culture playlist (like “Moon Knight“) and I love it!
- They used to be friends???
- I like Mr. Wilson! I mean Gabe.
- Not lyrics from Mulan! He’s killing me!
- The Marvel bros are gonna be bored with this one? Oh well! Sucks for them!
- Families are gonna like this!
- Dr. Strange and Star Wars are both mentioned in this.
- What episode does she get her powers??
- Where in the world … is Kamala from?
- Not a Zuzu instead of an Alexa! Cute.
- I remember being scared to ask my parents to go somewhere. I feel you girl.
- Not her tryna use Bruno and his “no family” having self to her advantage.
- OF COURSE the tight suit of Captain Marvel is a problem! Ugh!
- Story of my life! The girl doesn’t get to do anything and the boy gets to do everything!
- So he’s gonna be her sidekick who does gadgets? That’s usually the role they chuck a POC kid in! I’m happy they didn’t this time.
- Awww look how good she looks in her suit!
- They keep calling it a party! It’s not a party, it’s a darn convention!!
- Not the f*cking hulk costume! It’s soooo bad!
- As a parent, her being humiliated hurts. But I get it!
- I worry about my kid wearing tight clothes too, but gosh. My childhood keeps me from overreacting to what she wears because I know too well how it felt!
- Omg he better not have a crush on her! No love interest! Please!!
- The scoring is great!
- Has to wear a sweater at gym? Yup. Totally get that “can’t show skin” even if it means not dying of heat in gym class foolery! It’s so frustrating!!
- Family making you feel bad for liking what you like is so trash!
- So she’s from Pakistan?! Cool!!
- Omg is she getting her powers this episode!???
- This b*tch just jumped out her f*cking window and almost died! I can not!
- Omgggg her bike!!!! That’s so f*cked up! He ain’t even HELP! WTF man!!
- Whew! She made it! She’s about to be in MAD trouble later, but she made it!
- I want some of this Avenger Con swag. I’m just saying!
- Oh nooo!! Her senses are heightened!?
- Of course the Antman is oversized! Cute easter egg!
- The ending of episode 1 is wild!!
- Why didn’t she just use her powers!???
- Yesss to the end credits music!
- Ahhhh there’s an end credit scene! I miss those.
- We needed this series 10 years ago when kids were making fun of Paki kids!
Anywho, that’s it for this week!