It’s over! Lovecraft Country Season 1 has officially ended and now I have no idea what I’m gonna do every Sunday night at 9pm. However, before I start sulking and looking for a new show to watch, can we talk about how this show broke my heart several times??
Here’s 10 times Lovecraft Country Season 1 broke my heart to pieces.
1. When Uncle George died and revealed that Tic was his son, not his nephew.
2. When Hippolyta said she had to give herself up for her husband and confronted him about how he dimmed her light instead of allowing her to shine once they got married.
3. Montrose getting beaten by his father for being gay and watching him look back on that memory and saying he deserved it.
4. Watching Montrose watch someone (who he clearly loved) get shot in the head because he was Black and Gay, just like him.
5. Tic realizing that his dream about Jackie Robinson saving him from monsters was really just him saving his family from white racists.
6. Tic learning that his dad was actually his uncle and realizing that he got his ass beat by a man who wasn’t his dad. While the guy he wished was his dad, actually was.
7. Leti walking through fire and watching another Black woman and mother, along with her family, burn to death at the hands of racists and then having to walk back to hand them the Book of Names, while being pregnant and slowly becoming a mother herself.
8. Watching Hippolyta practically kill herself, foaming at the mouth and all, but still powering through to keep everyone else alive, ONCE again, and literally becoming her daughters’ hero, as her hair turned blue like the character Dee drew for her.
9. Montrose not listening to Dee and holding her down while she got attacked by demons because they weren’t paying attention and didn’t listen to her because she was a kid!
10. Montrose killing Yahima before they could learn more from her.