Listen, I thought episode 1 and 8 were hard to get through but episode 9? OMG! I finished watching Lovecraft Country episode 9 about 2 hours ago and I still haven’t fully recovered just yet! This episode was brutal!
If you’re STILL not sure what Lovecraft Country is, please check out my thoughts on episode 1 here since there’s a full description of this fire ass HBO series in there.
The show was created by Misha Green and it’s f*cking amazing!
But if you’re unsure if Lovecraft Country is the right show for you because you hate horror, like moi, check out my review of the first two episodes here. I kid you not, I hate horror too!
But trust me when I say this thang is GOOD!
I’m still not sure how I’ve managed to get through this show, when I’ve been watching this thang alone in the dark, but I don’t care.
I knew from the very first episode that they’d have me hooked and that no matter what happened afterwards I would have to see this thang through, and now that I’m on episode 9, they’ve proved me right!
So what did I think of the ninth episode?
Here Are 30 Thoughts I Had While Watching Episode 9 Of Lovecraft Country On HBO Max
Please note: I had to omit a few thoughts so I didn’t spoil anything. This is way too exciting for me to just spoil the fun. If you wanna discuss the show hit me up on Twitter.
1. Lawd! Tic a hot mess! Leti a hot mess! I can’t already! Lord!
2. Isn’t it weird how they didn’t wanna help Dee before and now they all scrambling to figure out the problem? If y’all had just listened when she asked for help!
3. Good lord. He said you MIGHT BE?! But sir you KNOW that ain’t yo god damn son.
4. Omgggg! I’m heart broken for Tic! He wished someone was his father and that man WAS his father the whole damn time! Damn son! That would eat me alive.
5. How the hell did Hippolyta get out?!!
6. Hippolyta ain’t been back for even 5 minutes and sis done figured out like 10 things. Stop sleeping on Black women bruh!
7. She really don’t care about anyone but her damn self!
8. She need ALL of Tic’s blood for her spell? Aka you need him dead sis. Why white folks can never just say the truth?! Just say what you mean sis.
9. That man drinking moonshine like it’s water!
10. Son. Hippolyta is THE SHIT! That is all!
11. He looks so damn scared to go back! I feel so damn bad for him.
12. I feel like they shoulda just left Montrose ass home! He ain’t drink enough for this shit!
13. Tic is SO GOD DAMN ANGRY! I wish he could let the anger go. I know it’s unrealistic right about now but it’s hard to watch his anger get the best of him.
14. Why would he say he deserved it!?? I hate this! And on #NationalComingOutDay too! To hear him say he deserved to get his ass whooped like that! Ugh!
15. Why does Leti know how to hotwire a car!? (Then again what doesn’t she know how to do??)
16. WTF! How is Leti always in some shit!? Why she always running!?
17. Damn! How many guns he got!?
18. “You shoot to warn then you shoot to kill.” That’s right sir!
19. Awwww he called him dad.
20. Why are white people so disgusting?! Why is this so hard to watch!?
21. This hurts so much! LGBT+ people go through so f*cking much! So f*cking much!!!
22. Omg! This is the dream he had! It was him! That dream he had! OMFG!
23. The way this show strips it’s audio, it’s music, and replaces it with poems! It’s so beautiful!
24. That dream in the first episode! I love how this show comes full circle!
25. My stomach hurts watching this tonight! It’s not even the racism tonight. It’s the way people hate LGBT+ people!
26. Son WTF IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW! If Leti don’t move her ass! I know it’s hard for her too though. The trauma. But god damn.
27. Omg! Is she turning into that character Dee drew?
28. She may have just died trying to save her kid! God damn!
29. Just gonna sit here and watch these credits because they deserve that tonight as every other night!
30. The worst part about Lovecraft Country is the fact that we can’t walk away from this saying “that was a good show” because this shit REALLY happened! This shit STILL happens!
So yeah, that’s pretty much what went through my head while watching the ninth episode.
Episode 9 was super emotional for me.
As someone who has gay friends, I’m always hurt by homophobia. Almost the same way I’m hurt by racism. Of course since I’m straight I don’t fully get what they deal with, but I guess knowing racism is enough?
Knowing that people can hate you for you just simply being you is enough. Plus the childhood trauma, on top of the Tulsa massacre, and so many other moments in episode 9 really had me in my feelings.
I literally laid here for like 2 hours just letting the emotions wash over me. 2020 has been a mighty long year.
It’s also the year I stopped hiding from our past so it’s really been an emotional roller coaster. But even still, the awesomeness that is known as Lovecraft Country still blows me away.
So yeah … I can’t believe there’s only one more episode!! I’m about to cry! What am I supposed to watch on Sundays now? *sigh*
Anywho … I can’t wait to see what happens next Sunday! Have you seen episode 9 yet? If so, what did you think of it? If not …