Sooooo … I watched episode 1 of “Bel-Air”, the new Fresh Prince “reboot”, and although I’m not super excited to share my initial thoughts via this live recap, I’m gon’ share ’em anyway. I mean, the new “Bel-Air” series is definitely different, but I can’t lie, 1 episode isn’t enough to tell if I’m gonna like this.
Peacock’s new one-hour drama series Bel-Air is set in modern-day America and imagines the beloved sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air through a new, dramatic take on Will’s complicated journey from the streets of West Philadelphia to the gated mansions of Bel-Air.
Executive produced by Will Smith, and inspired by Morgan Cooper’s viral trailer that reimagined the iconic, culture-defining ‘90s sitcom, Bel-Air takes a fresh and raw approach to this world of swagger, style, and aspiration, while exploring Will’s complex journey through a current lens.
The new series features an ensemble cast that introduces Jabari Banks as Will and a creative team that includes Cooper, who serves as director, co-writer, and executive producer, and co-showrunners and executive producers T.J. Brady and Rasheed Newson. And I still don’t know if I love it yet! But here are …
50 Thoughts I Had While Watching “Bel-Air” Episode 1
Spoiler Alert – If you haven’t seen episode 1 of Bel-Air yet, this recap will spoil things, by a lot. So if you loathe all kinds of spoilers, bookmark this joint and wait until you’ve seen the episode.
- Ohhh we starting with a J Cole song? Lit!
- Will is smart? And a basketball player? For a school? Not on a court in the hood??
- Jawn and young boul … Meek Mills … cheesesteaks … this Philly huh.
- Mmmmmm water ice, I want some, but from Texas. Sorry Philly.
- He still pulling girls huh. Cute.
- Who the hell is Rashad??
- Wait if he lose this basketball game he gotta sell drugs??? WTF? This already sounds dumb!
- The storyline feels a little weird right now, but maybe I just don’t know enough drug dealers? ‘Cause what?! Make that make sense to me.
- Oh wait THIS is the basketball game on the court that he got in trouble with? Got it, got it.
- And THAT’S how the fight started!??
- They really just gon’ beat him up for nothing??
- Why do they always arrest Black men on tv the same way? Face to pavement! Why don’t we ever see white men being arrested like this?
- Dang she dropping him to LA NOW?
- Straight to Bel-Air boy!
- This scene is good.
- That’s a good reason for him to leave though! That I like.
- This boy flying in first class? I want someone to book me a first class flight to LA so I can live in Bel Air shit.
- So that’s why he took a “taxi”? He ain’t find the car? Cute.
- Wait is this Jazz? It is!! And he has a car? Look at himmm.
- Omgggg Geoffrey foine as hell with that accent.
- Look at Jazz already scheming!
- Not Hillary a whole ass social media influencer now. Lord.
- Yessss come through with the Anderson .Paak song.
- I hope I get used to this new Hillary cause eh.
- Will is definitely the same.
- Uncle Phil also feels off. Maybe I should say different?
- Their dialogue feels like it’s tryna be too young and hip. Ick. Says the millennial.
- He already meeting a Lisa? Well that was quick.
- Carlton is … short?
- Carlton still annoying AF, but in a whole new different way now.
- So they both still don’t want each other around? Got it.
- Not him calling Jazz for a ride to go back home. Jeezus.
- Jazz and Will have similar vibes to the old ones, but everyone else feels different.
- Awwww he’s crying? In the first episode?
- This not for us is it? It’s for these damn kids!!
- I need more time to get into this.
- Not Hilary cooking instead of Geoffrey! Oh shit!
- Not Carlton actually being into sports and being popular??
- Nooooo that’s Carlton ex? Carlton had a girlfriend???
- They had to put this song in huh! Philly ass!
- Noooooo Carlton dancing with white boys who use the n word when singing? Make it stop!
- Not a spirited debate! I woulda told on his ass TF! Yes I snitch, get over it.
- This room is really big AF.
- Wait Carlton does coke? Oh Xanax! Lord.
- Awwww he’s mocking him like he used too!
- I hate kids who clown others for having scholarships! Like, oh I’m sorry you only got in because ya mama paid for them to take yo stupid ass. I may not have as much money as you but I’m not as dumb as you either! TF! And the kids are never poor, or without, just not AS rich. Get TF out my face bruh!
- WTF is wrong with Carlton?! Is he depressed?
- All that anger and all he did was push Will into the pool?
- Oh this a great ass pool shot!
- Of course this boy can’t swim.
Anywho, that’s it for this week! I’m a little nervous to see what happens next, but I’m definitely gonna watch the next 2 episodes before I judge this thang.