So yesterday I announced that I was covering the American Black Film Festival and all of the films I was looking forward to covering over the next few days. And first up on the festival’s agenda, was the HBO Short Film Competition, which I attended (virtually) last night. A few of the films I saw, including A Storybook Ending (2020), weren’t even on my radar initially, but I’m absolutely thrilled that I didn’t miss out on this new short movie.
A Storybook Ending is a dark comedy about a 30-something Black man named Wale, who in a case of mistaken identity, kills a white undercover cop in self-defense. Wale flees the scene in a panic, but a couple of low-level criminals have a video of the crime and they want money in exchange for their silence.
Here Are 26 Thoughts I Had While Watching A Storybook Ending
1. This is cute? Or is it just the song that’s throwing me off, ’cause WTF is happening right now!?
2. This song choice is actually wonderful!
4. How she talking shit if she tied up! Hold the hell up now!
5. Ohhhhh shit!
6. I love how this was edited and filmed! Love how it was a blur in the beginning and then the real story unravels after. Love it! And the music choice is so familiar and happy that you get side tracked.
7. Nigga said how bout $5,000! Boy, if you don’t stop playing and run me my money! The hell $5,000 supposed to do?
8. Wait so they tied them up and have their phone, but they’re STIILL getting blackmailed?? How?!
9. This concept is cute! Way better than I thought it would be, but I’m also a tad confused.
10. This shit is hilarious!
11. Why is she stronger (mentally/emotionally) than this man?
12. Oh shit!
13. These women are awesome! Their characters are great!
14. Why are the women the only ones doing anything in this? Damn men just talking! *rolls eyes* As usual!
15. This nigga hopping around and shit, legs still tapped together. Lord!
16. This is highly entertaining!
17. So he pushed the gun away instead of grabbing it and trying to shoot him? *deep sigh* I mean … I guess, at least he’s not a violent Black man right?
18. Is the producer / writers from NYC? Cause this is some Brooklyn, Bronx shit! This one of those crazy stories New Yorkers (meaning folks from NYC specifically) come home and tell you, and you just look at them like they’re insane!
19. Why’d she take so long to scream?
20. I’m glad I got to watch this, it’s definitely entertaining.
21. Oh so they just gon’ let this girl go huh?
22, Oh NOW she got a daughter? Mmhhmm. Lying ass!
23. This girl looks SO familiar!
24. These men really ain’t do nothing! N O T H I N G! Ugh!
25. Why is the man not even trying to help or talk or anything? He just sitting there staring into space looking stupid! If she don’t divorce his ass!
26. This really is a storybook ending, huh!
So yeah, that’s pretty much what went through my head while watching this.
I’ll have a full review of the movie up soon.
This was only one of the five films in this category, so once I’m done reviewing them all, I’ll let you know which short film I loved the best, and who I hope wins the American Black Film Festival HBO Short Film Competition!
Then we’ll get to see if my instincts are as great as I think they are, at the end of the festival during the awards show.