So yesterday I announced that I was covering the American Black Film Festival and all of the films I was looking forward to covering over the next few days. And first up on the festival’s agenda, was the HBO Short Film Competition, which I attended (virtually) last night. A few of the films I saw, including A Rodeo Film, weren’t even on my radar initially, but I’m absolutely thrilled that I didn’t miss out on this new short movie.
A Rodeo Film is about a bull rider who falls out of love with the sport, and must choose between his family’s legacy of rodeo and his own aspirations of life.
Here Are 17 Thoughts I Had While Watching A Rodeo Film
1. Already love the way this was shot!
2. Who this? He foine.
3. He asked him if he wanted a drink when sis just left to go get him a drink?
4. Wait is she serious? Wasn’t she just with another man? How she gon’ be mad if he with someone else? WTF?!
5. I love that the tables have turned in this. She’s the one married who won’t leave her husband for him, and he’s the one hung up on her, waiting.
6. Love the story here, and the writing, and definitely the acting.
7. I’m very lost right now. What’s the point of the chain? Who’s is it?
8. Wait is her husband his brother? Why am I confused right now? Ugh!
9. Oh THAT’S why she wanted him to quit!
10. This is shot really well but I feel really confused!!
11. I LOVE the slow shots of him at the rodeo. The last ride.
12. What does 3 signify? I swear they kept doing things in threes.
13. Very emotional!
14. Omg I still can’t believe how beautiful this cinematography is!
15. Wait is this the ride he said he ain’t wanna do but did anyway? *heavy sigh*
16. OMG! Did he just *omitted*?
17. Wait that’s it?? So they’re not gonna explain nothing? WTF! Very, very annoyed.
So yeah, that’s pretty much what went through my head while watching this.
I’ll have a full review of the movie up soon.
This was only one of the five films in this category, so once I’m done reviewing them all, I’ll let you know which short film I loved the best, and who I hope wins the American Black Film Festival HBO Short Film Competition!
Then we’ll get to see if my instincts are as great as I think they are, at the end of the festival during the awards show.